CHAPELS AT THE BAJA CEMETERY

17. December 2018.

During the XIX century all cemeteries in Subotica were edited and expanded. In 1803, the Staro Bajsko groblje was extended through the town of Varoš, in what area it is still today. At the beginning of the 1980s, when the city was rapidly economically strengthening, the most famous families built the first chapels as evidence of their economic power. Thus, the nerve of the first chapel in Bajsko (chapel Vojnić in 1879, and Antunović in 1882, designer: Titus Mackov) and the Orthodox cemetery. The fashion of raising monumental tombs and chapels was at the turn of the XIX and XX centuries. In the period between 1901 and 1911, the following chapels were built: Vuković and Kertes 1901, Balog (designer: Maćaš Šalga) and Peić 1903 (designer: Geza Kocka), Dulić 1908 (designer: Maćaš Šalga), Deak 1911, Lihtnekert 1913 and Vereš in 1928 (designer: Ištvan Vaci).The appearance of these chapels was significantly influenced by the chapels Leović and Ostojić on the Orthodox cemetery. They have the same roofing treatment and colored facade treatment. All chapels were masonry, some were plastered and others were made with clinker bricks. The roof cover is made of pepper or galvanized, ie copper sheet in slabs or shaped according to pre-made wooden molds.
KAPELA BALOG
The building was built in the style of eclectic in 1903. The building is a four-legged base, with four towers and a hexagonal rib with a central dome covered with sheet. The facades are clinkered with clay bricks – red, which are replaced in a decorative alternate row. The Timpanon segmental fields extend in the base of the dome and tower of the square base. Sokl is covered with stone blocks. On the right side of the portal on the hook there is a carved record of the builder: Šalga M.
Decorative elements appear on the rhizalites in the form of an alternate shift of two-tone clinker bricks and profiled tympanones treated in plaster. At the top of the central dome is an apple with a cross from the sky, made of galvanized sheet metal, while at the central ends of the side towers there are decorative metal spikes.
KAPELA VUKOVIC MARTON (today Fehir chapel)
In the Saboteque archive, the original project of architect Geza Kocka from 1901 was preserved. It is built in a neo-Renaissance style with accentuated elements of secession. The four-cornered is a base, covered with a hexagonal cupola, clinker brick with accentuated rhizalites and a base of artificial stone counterfoils artefacts.
LIHTNEKERT KAPELA
It was built in the neo-Gothic style of 1913 with elements of neo-Renaissance, at the turn of the XIX century and the documentary data referring to the architect Titus Mackovich. Osmougaone is a base, with facades coated with red clinker bricks as counterfoils. In the roof structure, the Tympanonic fields appear, from which the roofs are facing, which face in the central part of the building. Roof cover is made of sheet metal.
KAPELA DEAK
The chapel is almost identical to the chapel Vuković-Marton in a stylish and constructive solution. Four-cornered base, covered with hexagonal dome-coated sheet. The wall covering is coated with yellow clinker bricks and razed clinker bricks. The entrance portal is made up of a combination of wood and wrought iron as well as window openings.
SVETHETENIČKA KAPELA (KERTES)
The chapel was erected in the style of secession with the admixtures of the Oriental style, which points to the time of its creation in 1901. The original owner was Nandor Kertes, and in the middle of the last century it became a priest chapel. Square is a dome base with eight lobes typed sheet coated with a motif of fish scales, and the walls are profiled end talasoidnim wreath.
DULIĆ KAPELA
It was built in a neo-Gothic style in 1906. Square is a base with emphasized verticals characteristic of the Gothic. It is clinkered with bricks, and the sock is made of red stone. The roof construction is solved by crossing the dormant roofs, above which the dome rises. The portal and window openings were made with profiled clinker bricks and end with the Gothic port. A stone rosette is placed above each hole and in the lunette of the portal.
PEIĆ KAPELA
It was built in neo-Gothic style according to the project of Geza Kocka in 1903. The chapel is still in function, namely, the funeral rituals are held in the confessional section of the Baja cemetery. The chapel is basically cross-shaped with a central bell over the broken work, covered with decorative sheet metal cassettes.
In the interior of the chapel, the original wooden neo-gothic altar is preserved.
ALMAŠI -ANTUNOVIĆ KAPELA
On the map from 1883, Antunović and Vojnić were chapel. The chapel is a square base, built in the “copf” style according to the Titus Mačković project. In the interior of the chapel are two marble slabs with a family of arms and with the most recent record from 1877 and the construction of the chapel was started in 1879. In folk chapel called ( “Tükres Kapolna”) according to the mirrors instead of window panes.
VOJNIĆ KAPELA
The chapel was designed by Titus Mackov in 1879. It was originally built in a neo-Gothic style, and in the 1930s it changed its appearance, and now it has no two central towers and side towers. It was treated with mortar, devoid of neo-colonial decoration, but the basic contours, including openings, were retained.
KAPELA VEREŠ-MAĆAŠ
This chapel was built by the wife of Elek Vereš, according to the data from the Historical Archive, the chapel was erected in 1928 according to the Istvan Vaci project in neo-Romanesque style. It is basically one-nave with a transept in two pushed apses. The wall canvas is made in a mortar with a base of stone blocks and decorative pilasters with a central portal and window apertures on the apes that are solved in the Roman style. Along the central portal, an octagonal bell tower with arcade openings, covered with copper sheet, is placed on the roof of the ship’s chapel.