School in the Kevi farmstead settlement was erected in 1912 according to a typical project signed by Ćula Švab, architect from the technical department of the Hungarian Ministry of Culture and Education. This was the second state school built in the village for which the land, as well as the first one, was donated by the Bilicki family. The building plan is symmetrical, with two classrooms connected to the corridor and two teachers’ apartments. It was built with bricks, as a prized object covered with peppercorn, in Art Nouveau style. The name of the school is changed in time. Between the two wars, the name of the school was “Stevan Sremac” after World War II “Temerkenj Istvan” and then “May 25”, which is the name for all schools in the municipality until 1975. In the mid-nineties, schools were again named “Stevan Sremac”. In addition to the school in the courtyard there are also auxiliary buildings: sheds, Polish toilets and two smaller stables.
As a rare example of a preserved type school (and still in function), which were raised at the beginning of the 20th century in the slaughtering villages of the Municipality of Senta, the school testifies about the development of education in this area.

Did you like this? Share it!


Comments are closed.