The chapel is dedicated to St. Archangel Gabriel and located in the northeastern part of the Orthodox graveyard in Senta, east-west. The chapel was built by Jakov Kragujević in 1868 as a significance to his son Milan, who died in the 1848 revolution.
It was built in a neo-baroque style, approximately a square base, with a polygonal apse in the east and an entrance to the west. On the front are entrance doors with segmented arc, marked throughout the tape made in plaster. On the façade, between the corner pilasters and the door, two tombstones of the Kragujevic family were built, and above the door there is a plaque with inscription. Below the profiled roof crown on the facade, a series of blind arcades, centered above the entrance, flows through the baroque tower supported in the base of the calakans. The tower has four elongated windows of the segment end, which are located in the retracted vertical fields, as they appear on the polygonal apsid. The chapel is covered with sheet metal, and in the surroundings paved with stone slabs.
The interior of the chapel is simple processing, and on the altar marbled wooden partition there are three arched holes, of which the middle is somewhat larger. Between the holes are placed two ceilings of icons: the Virgin and Jesus Christ, and above the central opening is the Crucifixion with the icons of the Virgin, on the right and the icon of St. Jovana Bogoslova, on the left. All four icons are subsequently placed in the chapel and their work is attributed to Novak Radonić whose name is related to the most prominent representatives of our romanticism. The icons were made with oil on canvas technique, laminated on wood. In the altar apse was painted on the wall of the Resurrection icon, the work of Petar Pilić, the senanian molerum, in which our famous painters Novak Radonjić and Aksentija Marodić studied basic painting skills.

Did you like this? Share it!


Comments are closed.